"Created For Greater Things"


“I am convinced that missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience. Salvation never was easy. We are the Church of Jesus Christ, this is the truth, and He is our Great Eternal Head. How could we believe it would be easy for us when it was never, ever easy for Him?”

I have noticed in the lives of both of my children as they have prepared to serve a mission the influence of the adversary. Don't get me wrong, it isn't obvious. We would be stronger against him if it was, but if you are paying attention you recognize it for what it is. He is trying to frustrate the plan. Trying to take the enthusiasm out of the journey. Trying to instill fear, or to make it seem like it is not the best option or plan. He seems to try to take everything we know and turn it upside down. I think it is supposed to make us stronger. To have our faith grow, but sometimes like today, it makes me weary. 

Gregg straight forward about all things tells me I waste time worrying about the journey. 

He rationally tries to tell me to let go.

Rational? Haha, what he knows, but still can't comprehend after all our years together, is it isn't my nature to use logic to go through life. It is always my heart. 

It is in these moments of wrestling with what I know verses what I feel, that I may seem a little crazy to the world, but it is also in these same moments when I find comfort and solace from a God who understands. 

He knows what it is like to have opposition. He knows what it is like to stand alone. He knows what it is like to have the world not understand you. He knows what it is like to have someone else seem more appealing, and he knows what it is like to stand on His own to be strong enough to let someone He loves walk away. He knows what it is like to fight for the underdog. He knows what it is like to do what is right even when it isn't popular. He knows what it is like to be faithful and obedient, and to walk along this path strong, silent and alone. BUT, when we understand the whole plan, we know He never was alone. We are never alone either. Satan just wants us to think we are. 

Lately we hear the counsel from our prophets to "Hear Him". This morning in my gospel study, I concentrated on the word HEAR. It is always amazing to me when my studies are guided to comfort my troubled heart. To ease the burdens I feel, and today was one of those days. As I studied the word HEAR, I felt one of the Hebrew definitions ring true. It said, "listen with obedience." Another definition stated hearing was being ENDOWED (which means a gift with privileges and benefits, or to acquire by paying a purchase price) with the ability to hear. Translated, into the language of my heart it means. The privilege and power we have to hear God because of the price He paid through the atonement, and we can only tap into this real power through repentance and obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel. Wow, so profound. 

Another impression I had this morning was this: At baptism, we RECEIVE the Gift of the Holy Ghost. If we truly reach out and take hold of and pull into our very souls this gift given from our Heavenly Father, revelation will become a natural occurrence in our lives BECAUSE the Holy Ghost is a REVELATOR. It is through Him that we know and feel the truthfulness of all things. If we are doing all we can to truly receive this Gift. WE WILL HEAR HIM!!

Comments