What Covid 19 Has Taught Me










On March 7, 2020 Utah had it's first case of Coronavirus documented. Not super worrisome if there is only one, but we knew because of what had occurred in other countries, that this was just the beginning. Originally we were cautioned by state officials to be conscientious, and to practice good hygiene. It was not long after that date that Governor Herbert declared a state of emergency, and not long after that school was moved to a soft closure, and we were told to social distance ourselves from everyone, and to only go out for needs and for necessities. People have been insanely crazy with purchasing food and toilet paper. Which makes the rest of us frantically searching for the much needed toilet paper. I never thought I would need to wake up early in the morning just so I could beat someone else to the store just to buy toilet paper.

So how does this effect the Petersen household ? Well, depends on who you ask. Don't ask me because my opinion in the matter is based on my role as a protector and a mother. Which at times may get a little skewed due to my proven protective characteristics honed not only by being a mother, but also by living in a crazy society, and having spent years being a "LIFE"guard. As much as I think I am pretty chill at times, truth is I am not actually chill ANY TIME. I just like to think I am. Turns out I am not. So play along while I interpret for you in my language.

Govenor Herbert: This is a very serious situation. You should social distance yourself from others. We are going to close schools to protect as many people as we can from getting this virus. If you can, work from home.

My Response: Okay, family we are going to stay in our house. Which we are going to extra sanitize just in case, and you are not allowed to go out. This has never happened in my lifetime before, so it must be a very serious thing, and we have to stay diligent, and listen to our leaders. If we don't, one of us might die.

The Response of My Family: Seriously people are blowing this way out of proportion. Yes, we need to practice safe habits, but we are going to choose to live by faith, and believe Heavenly Father is going to help us.

Huh? THOSE TWO OPINIONS DO NOT CO-HABITATE in the same household very well.

I have to admit, it took me far longer to get to the point of letting my family have free-agency than it should have. Seriously? Why do I have to be wrong all the time. I was not wrong in trying to fight for the safety and well-being of my family. For that I do not have to apologize. But the FAITH factor. I thought I believed in a God who would protect us. I thought I believed in a God that would comfort us. I thought I believed in a God who knows the end from the beginning, and is in the very details of our lives. So why is it the first time it is really challenged, I go in defense mode, and think I have to do it all by myself?

Truth is, I needed this to prove to myself that I do love God. I believe in Him. I believe that unlike some of my sisters who think that Satan is throwing a temper tantrum because he knows His time is running out, I believe God is allowing this to happen to turn our hearts to His. He is trying to rescue us. He is the Master of the Olive Garden helping us to get to become who He knows we can become.

I have recently been doing a study on Priesthood Power and also the Restoration, and the bottom line of all I have learned is that Priesthood and the restoration are interconnected at the very foundation of all things. God is using His power yesterday, today and tomorrow to restore us to become like He is. A GOD. He is letting us use His power to do this restoration. It has to be used for good, and it is given to all those who are worthy to use it. Now the keys of using the priesthood for ordinances is given to worthy men, but that is only a portion of the priesthood. Priesthood IS the Power of God. It is what He used to create the world. It is what He used to perform miracles when He came to the earth. It is what He used to atone for our sins and it is what he used when he died and was resurrected for us. Anything good, that helps us back to our Heavenly Father to live in His presence is part of His authority. It is His Priesthood.

Sometimes the restoration process is messy. My messy may look different than yours, but He knows us, and IS STILL REACHING out to all of us.

I can not help but think that this Coronavirus time has got to be ugly for hearts to really soften, and turn to face God. I do appreciate for the first time in forever, that the President of the United States declared last weekend a Weekend of Prayer, and this next weekend President Nelson is asking us to fast for healing and miracles. He issued this recommendation not only to the Church, but to all those who would like to join us including all churches everywhere. What a marvelous thing to be a part of, a world fasting together for the good of others. I can not think of anything I would rather be a part of than that. I hope people will look for the miracles I know will be happen.

I started to cry a little when Jacey pointed out the hand of the Lord in our lives that I had missed. Remember when the Church made the change that you didn't have to be married a year before you could be sealed to your spouse if you had been married civilly first. At the time we thought it mostly applied to converts, but she realized that it was for this very purpose also. The Lord knew good worthy people planning on being married in the temple were going to have to wait because of the Coronavirus. So He changed it. I Love Him. I told you He is in the VERY DETAILS OF OUR LIVES!!

President Nelson has also recently asked us to learn how God speaks to us, and to Hear Him.

Oh, now that is a very deep loaded question for me. I do hear him. I can tell you I do. I can even point out a number of times that I have, but I don't really hear Him all the time. I tend to wait for Him.

So, . . . in real actuality this has been a huge learning opportunity, where I went from thinking I was a faithful woman doing my best to do the things God wants me to do, to being a women who knows. Oh, I have a long ways to go until I understand all things, but for now it is enough.

One of the things that my heart yearns for more than anything else is when I do finally meet my Savior, I want to FEEL HIM just as much as I FEEL Him in my life right now. I want to absolutely FEEL the goodness of His Soul, and I want to FEEL His love. To the extent that I fall at His Feet, with emotion in my whole being. I want to recognize Him because every fiber of my being recognizes Him and FEELS HIM!! There is so much gratitude in my heart for all that He has done for me. I do not want to be stoic when that time happens.

Comments