He Plays at 100%
He decided at that time to play AYSO, and found the element that he was missing. Oh it is very evident that the skill level is different, but for the most part they are out there to have fun. He didn't want his new coach to know he played defense because he wanted the chance to play forward, and he has found a new sense of success that he never would have gotten if he had stayed with his comp team. In fact, his current coach told me he requested Max to be on his team again this year. I love him more because he has really seen my son, and what he has to offer.
So with that background, I would like to share what happened at yesterday's game.
Max came to play.
Some games are better than others in this area. Yesterday Max didn't tire and was not standing around at all. He seemed to be involved in most of the action on the field. In fact, I turned to Gregg and asked him what Max had for breakfast. Then after recognizing that he had a doughnut, said that we should feed him doughnuts before every game. It is a natural given that if you play at this level of play the whole game, you are going to also be on both sides of the fouls being called. One in particular was my favorite. Max was trying to beat someone to the ball and went up for a header. realizing that he was not going to come down softly, he did a flip over the other player. (He said he got the ball, so it shouldn't have been a foul.) He got a yellow card because he landed on the other guy. The ref told him it was for his protection that he had pulled it. A few plays later, the other team's player got a yellow card for purposely taking Max out.
Max was also involved in a play where a girl on the opposing team was hit by the ball, which tripped her, and she went down. Even though Max helped her up, making sure she was okay, the other coach went ballistic. She charged onto the field yelling at the ref, and stating that she was fighting for the safety of her players. There was no fowl called. At this time, one of the other team's parents began yelling at the ref to just let them play. He wouldn't be quiet, and the ref was forced to eject him from the game. I could tell by Max's body language that he knew he was a big part of what was going on, but he held his ground.
Play started again, and the other team seemed to be targeting Max more. Max's body language again told me that he knew what they were doing, and he wasn't going to let them succeed. He played just as tough as before, beating them to the ball every time, and shutting them down. (Some games at this point seem way too long.) I thought about telling the coach to pull him, just to calm the other team down, but also knew that my son needed to prove what he was made of.
AND HE DID!!!
When the coach substituted him out, I watched my noble son walk off the field on the opposing teams side, right up to the coach, and humble himself before her. He then gave her knuckles and came to our side. I met him, and put my arms around him, and told him how proud I was of him. He was close to tears, and said, "I did nothing wrong." To which I replied, "I know." I asked him what he had said to the coach, and he said he apologized for playing dangerously.
I was in awe of my son. He had done nothing wrong, and yet he had managed to recognize the scope of the bigger picture. He even said, "Mom, it is better to take the high road."
Later, I learned that he was more upset about the language of one of the other team's players. He very much tried to tear Max down with words that were offensive to him.
Today at church, Brother Peterson (the ref) came up to me, and I quickly thanked him for reffing Max's game. I acknowledged how difficult it is, and I was sorry if the way Max played was in anyway a factor in the game. He quickly told me, Max didn't do anything wrong. The other team through utter frustration by being beaten to the ball by an obviously better player was taking their aggression out on Max. He also told me that he will never ref a game coached by the other team's coach.
It was a tough game for Max. It tested the character of his soul. It was one of those
moments in life when I was lucky enough to witness the true magnitude of who my son is. Max is a humble warrior who will stand up for principle when it is demanded, but he is not above lowering himself if he feels the eternal perspective of the situation requires it.
I am so blessed to be the mom to this FINE YOUNG MAN!!!


Comments
Post a Comment