Piano Recital 2017

Jacey, Sandy Olsen and Max at Jacey's last Piano Recital
 
Ever since my kids were little, I have encouraged them to take piano lessons. Now years later, I have seen how learning to play the piano has blessed and benefited them in multiple ways. I am hoping there will come a day when they will appreciate knowing what they have learned.

Mixed in with all the high points like recitals, or playing in church are the daily battles to become better. My children are not virtuosos. It has not come easily for either one of them. Both are perfectionists which do not like people critiquing them, and I have witnessed untold lessons in which one or both of my children's body language says they have had enough. I have seen them break down in tears with frustration. I have seen them shake so badly they simply can not play, but through it all, this kind woman gently instructs and tries to mold my children into something better. And so I push them to grow and refine their very natures.

I totally understand why some parents throw in the towel. This has been a hard road, but it is one I would travel again. Supporting my children as they learn a skill that can bless other people lives, has been a learning opportunity for me also. I have always felt a loving Heavenly Father needed them to know how to play the piano.

But why does he want them to learn to play the piano?

Does he want them to know simply so they can play for church meetings?
Does he want them to grow simply by going through the process?
Does he absolutely want them to know how to push through hard things?
Does he want them to know that sometimes their agency in a situation is whether they will do as they are asked happily or whether they will grumble through out?
Does he want them to know they can achieve something they wouldn't normally have chosen?
Does he want them to know how practice really does make you better?

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is this. I am a huge advocate in promoting something that 1. Serves a higher purpose. 2. Refines a wild being. 3. Humbles us into to becoming what our Heavenly Father wants us to be, and 4. Gives us confidence to step up to volunteer.

Piano lessons, at least for my two, are not just about learning to play the piano, and as hard as it is, I would do it again.

I am so very proud of Jacey and Max. They are definitely learning and showing the world THEY CAN DO HARD THINGS.

Comments