New School Year Blues
It is no secret that I hate to send my kids back to school. I love my kids to be home with me. I understand that they need to go I really do, but I would also like my kids to come home from the world like I sent them out, and that doesn't always happen.
My case in point is school, and my particular frustration is HOMEWORK!!
My very sweet, cute and talented son does not like homework. He will do everything in his power to get out of doing it. In fact, EVERYTHING is more important than doing his homework, and that is the problem. I need him to aggressively go after his education. I need him to learn how to learn. I have tried very hard to teach him good study habits, and up until now he has been able to get by without too much outside of school studying, but now he is knee deep in Freshman classes that are now going on his transcripts, and he still wants to travel the easy road.
Last night we were up until 11:30 doing his math homework because he didn't know how to do it. Jacey had tried to help him, but mostly they were just fighting. It is late enough that there are no other resource options available to us, and he looks at me horrified when I suggest we get up early to go in to talk to his teacher. He wants to drop out and retake last years math. I tried to be encouraging, and even stayed up late with him while he finished, but today because I am tired, I have had enough.
I threaten my kids all the time if they don't pull their weight, I am going to move them to a farm where they will be required to work hard. Seriously? Who am I kidding? That would be more punishment to me than for them.
So today I thought about what I really can do to move us "to the farm", and let me just say this...Max and Jacey are not going to be happy!!!
My case in point is school, and my particular frustration is HOMEWORK!!
My very sweet, cute and talented son does not like homework. He will do everything in his power to get out of doing it. In fact, EVERYTHING is more important than doing his homework, and that is the problem. I need him to aggressively go after his education. I need him to learn how to learn. I have tried very hard to teach him good study habits, and up until now he has been able to get by without too much outside of school studying, but now he is knee deep in Freshman classes that are now going on his transcripts, and he still wants to travel the easy road.
Last night we were up until 11:30 doing his math homework because he didn't know how to do it. Jacey had tried to help him, but mostly they were just fighting. It is late enough that there are no other resource options available to us, and he looks at me horrified when I suggest we get up early to go in to talk to his teacher. He wants to drop out and retake last years math. I tried to be encouraging, and even stayed up late with him while he finished, but today because I am tired, I have had enough.
I threaten my kids all the time if they don't pull their weight, I am going to move them to a farm where they will be required to work hard. Seriously? Who am I kidding? That would be more punishment to me than for them.
So today I thought about what I really can do to move us "to the farm", and let me just say this...Max and Jacey are not going to be happy!!!



Comments
Post a Comment