Jacey Makes the Blog . . . Again!

Okay, the picture has nothing to do with my life right now. I just needed a nice serene picture to look at to go with the not so serene life I am having. (Melanie and the rest of you who are doing a Healthy Eating challenge with me, I totally threw it out the window. Maybe tomorrow I can get it all together enough to care about what I am eating. Today challenges do not matter.)

Today about 8:15 a.m. I got a text from Jacey that said, . . .
 
"I smashed my finger and I think I'm in shock."
 
. . . and the texts went on back and forth from there. Later Jacey told me that she asked the person sitting by her in health to text me because she couldn't. (Apparently she was blacking out.) What I am sure was actually happening was that Jacey was freaking this girl out, and me on the other end of the phone at the same time.
 
So, I went into Super Protective Mom mode to tell Jacey what to do, and no to all the people out there that think I went and rescued my daughter from school and brought her home like a normal rational mother would do. I sent texts that said, "Put your head down, ice your finger and your head, and . . . Eat Your Granola Bar."

This is the reason why I didn't go get her. . . First of all by the time she could tell me if I needed to come get her or not, she was feeling better, and told me she was doing okay. Also, she had a math test. One that she could not make up if she missed. We learned when she had surgery that you do not miss school ever unless you are contagious! Concussions and shock do not fit into that category.

Background Information: Jacey goes into shock easily. I know this. She knows this. She usually knows what to do to get herself out of it. Which is why she told the girl sitting by her that she was in shock and to text her mother. She could tell that she was not in control of the situation. 

Longer Story: Jacey was running late for school because she is moving a little slower than normal, and took her pain meds without eating. She got to school, and when the pain pills kicked in she started to not feel well. At which time she went to the bathroom to see if walking would help her feel better. In the bathroom, she caught her finger in the door and smashed it, bringing on the shock. Because her body is not working properly it went into shock quicker than normal. She felt like she was going to pass out and didn't want someone to find her on the bathroom floor so she tried to get back to class. Jarrett (a neighbor) saw her in the hall. He realized that she was not okay, and tried to help her, but Jacey was in shutdown mode. She could only think about getting back to class. She made it back, told the girl to text me, and blacked out for a few seconds. When she was finally able to read my texts, I told her to eat a granola bar. She did, and started feeling better, but the shock of it all was still was there. She was sweating and shaking for a good part of the day.

Jarrett told Jaxon, what had happened, and Jaxon checked on Jacey after class. When I asked Jacey who I could text to put on "Jacey Watch" she told me to text Jaxon. He thought it very humorous that I would text him, but I needed someone in that school to watch my princess for me to make sure she was okay.  
 
Poor Jacey! I did call the doctor though just to double check to see if I was being super irrational, and he didn't think the two were connected. The nurse I talked to did tell me that her shock symptoms probably were worse because of her concussion, but I was fine to keep her home and watch her for the next 24-48 hours. She also told me that if she was incoherent, I should bring her in. Duh! I know I am not the wisest mom out there for keeping my daughter in school, but really? If my daughter was incoherent I would not bring her to the doctor's office. I would take her to the ER.

Moral of the story: If your daughter goes into shock when she has a concussion. Go get her. It will make your life so much easier. Math grades really don't matter that much in the long run.

 
 
 

Comments

  1. I think you may need to put Jacey in a padded room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting a first hand experience of your life at the high school on a whole new level. While my daughter is very responsible and for the most part low maintenance, I can only imagine what you see in a day. I totally have more empathy for all the teachers out there. Thank you for what you do for all your students.

      Delete

Post a Comment