I Love It When I Feel Loved
A couple of months ago I got a new calling to be the Girl's Camp Director for our ward. I don't know why, but it totally caught by surprise. Maybe because I have felt put out to pasture in our new ward, or maybe it was because I don't camp much. Either way, I was not expecting it when the call came. But, . . since then I have to say that this calling is by far my absolute favorite calling yet in the Church.
When I got the call Gregg told me the first thing I needed to worry about was finding a place to camp, and that I needed to worrying about it sooner rather than later. When I got online, I found out he was right. Some camp sites were already full, but an even bigger problem was I didn't know where to go. I started doing research. Did you know there are five pages of camps listed on the Church Website? After I eliminated the ones out of state, I was down to three. Then I looked at pictures and asked people I knew for advice. Everyone had an opinion, and they weren't the same. I was totally lost. The Young Women's President offered to go with me to visit campgrounds, so one day I went with her to a camp up by Heber. Before we left we said a prayer, and I ask that we would know where we were suppose to go. We got lost on the way and drove 1/2 hour out of our way, and had to go up a dirt road and back down again to find it, and. . . I hated it. I was so discouraged. I am not a camper. How was I supposed to know where to go? Were all the camps like this one?
The next Saturday, Jacey and I went for another ride up American Fork Canyon. (I did not get lost.) From the moment I pulled into the parking lot, I loved it. It felt right. We walked around and planned and thought it was definitely a possibility. Even Jacey thought it was nice. Since it is a stake camp, stakes and participating wards have first chances to reserve the camp. That meant that I had to wait until December to make a reservation. I emailed the camp managers and asked if there really was a chance of getting in, or if I needed to keep looking. He sounded positive, but Gregg told me that I should have a back up plan. So I went for more rides.
Nothing else felt right. I was so confused. I didn't know if we were supposed to go to the one I liked because the Lord wanted us to go there, or if I just wanted to go there. I decided to go on faith. If we were supposed to go to Mutual Dell campground, then it would still be available in December. If we weren't supposed to go there, wherever we were supposed to go would still be open.
Yesterday, I received an email from Mutual Dell letting me know that the guidelines had changed and that I could now make a reservation. When I went to do just that, I learned that I could get exactly what I wanted.
I can not tell you how much love I felt pouring from heaven at that particular moment. The Lord was taking care of me and the girls I am serving the whole time, and since I am such a worrier I forgot to listen. I'm certainly listening now, and DOING A HAPPY DANCE because we are going to a fabulous campground. The girls are going to love it. They will have to stay in tents, and have to pack their gear into the campsites, but there is flushing toilets and showers, a confidence coarse, a zip-line, canoes, a ball field, volleyball courts, horseshoes, established hikes nearby, pavilions for dinners and firesides, and trees.
Now I just need to find an assistant, and then start meeting with the youth leaders to plan a super fun camp. I have chosen to go with the theme "Anchored" to tie in the "embarking in the service of God" theme for the YW for next year. It is going to be super fun. I have the best calling ever, and to be honest, it has been awhile since I have said that. I am VERY grateful to my Heavenly Father for giving me this opportunity.
When I got the call Gregg told me the first thing I needed to worry about was finding a place to camp, and that I needed to worrying about it sooner rather than later. When I got online, I found out he was right. Some camp sites were already full, but an even bigger problem was I didn't know where to go. I started doing research. Did you know there are five pages of camps listed on the Church Website? After I eliminated the ones out of state, I was down to three. Then I looked at pictures and asked people I knew for advice. Everyone had an opinion, and they weren't the same. I was totally lost. The Young Women's President offered to go with me to visit campgrounds, so one day I went with her to a camp up by Heber. Before we left we said a prayer, and I ask that we would know where we were suppose to go. We got lost on the way and drove 1/2 hour out of our way, and had to go up a dirt road and back down again to find it, and. . . I hated it. I was so discouraged. I am not a camper. How was I supposed to know where to go? Were all the camps like this one?
The next Saturday, Jacey and I went for another ride up American Fork Canyon. (I did not get lost.) From the moment I pulled into the parking lot, I loved it. It felt right. We walked around and planned and thought it was definitely a possibility. Even Jacey thought it was nice. Since it is a stake camp, stakes and participating wards have first chances to reserve the camp. That meant that I had to wait until December to make a reservation. I emailed the camp managers and asked if there really was a chance of getting in, or if I needed to keep looking. He sounded positive, but Gregg told me that I should have a back up plan. So I went for more rides.
Nothing else felt right. I was so confused. I didn't know if we were supposed to go to the one I liked because the Lord wanted us to go there, or if I just wanted to go there. I decided to go on faith. If we were supposed to go to Mutual Dell campground, then it would still be available in December. If we weren't supposed to go there, wherever we were supposed to go would still be open.
Yesterday, I received an email from Mutual Dell letting me know that the guidelines had changed and that I could now make a reservation. When I went to do just that, I learned that I could get exactly what I wanted.
I can not tell you how much love I felt pouring from heaven at that particular moment. The Lord was taking care of me and the girls I am serving the whole time, and since I am such a worrier I forgot to listen. I'm certainly listening now, and DOING A HAPPY DANCE because we are going to a fabulous campground. The girls are going to love it. They will have to stay in tents, and have to pack their gear into the campsites, but there is flushing toilets and showers, a confidence coarse, a zip-line, canoes, a ball field, volleyball courts, horseshoes, established hikes nearby, pavilions for dinners and firesides, and trees.
Now I just need to find an assistant, and then start meeting with the youth leaders to plan a super fun camp. I have chosen to go with the theme "Anchored" to tie in the "embarking in the service of God" theme for the YW for next year. It is going to be super fun. I have the best calling ever, and to be honest, it has been awhile since I have said that. I am VERY grateful to my Heavenly Father for giving me this opportunity.



Comments
Post a Comment