Genealogy Challenge

Our stake presidency issued a challenge to the members of our stake during the last stake conference. The challenge was this: find and take family names to the temple by the time the Ogden temple re-opens. They would like us to find enough names that we can create a stake in heaven to match our stake here on earth. I have to say that when I heard the challenge, I rolled my eyes a little. Here is my problem with doing family history. Every time I go on to the familysearch.org site, and trace my line, the work is either done, or has a tag that says it needs more information. I don't know the correct information, nor do I know how to find it. So I have been very happy to let my Uncle Monte take over the reigns on this one. However, I knew that this was not really the right attitude to take, and so when the idea was passed on to me to do a Relief Society activity at the Family History Center in the area, I jumped on it. The workers at the center were very helpful and gave me a different approach to try to find names. Hurray!!

The following Friday the kids and I took two of their friends and went to the Bountiful Temple to do baptisms for 39 people. Well 36 actually because as it turns out 4 of the cards were the same person, but what really matters is that I did it. Yeah for me. Those little blue and pink cards actually had my name on them.

I cheated just a little because I worked on Gregg's side of the family, but it still is family, and it feels good to be able to say I did it. So give me a call if you need a family name to take to the temple with you to do anything besides baptisms. There is plenty to go around. I actually found about 85 people that needed ordinances done for them.

Comments