Working the System

Last week, the principal at my daughter's junior high sent out a mass e-mail to all of the students of the school inviting them to participate in a free summer math program.  I being the freak-a-zoid mom that I am, immediately thought this would be a good idea.  Now, . . to convince Jacey.  I approached the subject in the car on the way home from ballet.  I asked Jacey's friend if she were going to do the program.  She said that her mom didn't want her to do it.  (What?  Why not?)  Anyway, Jacey knowing her mom, started worrying.  She doesn't want to do math all summer.  She kept telling me that she is good in math, and she is.  I told her I knew she was, but if this was something that was a difference maker between a scholarship and no scholarship, wouldn't she do it?  She said no.

Fast forward a couple of days.  My niece was in town from Texas and we decided to get together for lunch before she left to go home.  Jacey really wanted to go.  I told her no because she was in school.  She informed me that they were only watching movies in the classes she would miss, and she really tried hard to convince me that I should check her out of school.  Her cousin Hailee wanted to get her mom to do the same thing.  Hailee texted Jacey and said that her mom said that she could go if I was letting Jacey go.  Teresa probably thought she was safe with that answer.  No brainer there. 

Anyway, on the morning that we were going to go to lunch, Gregg received a text from Jacey.  "Tell mom that I will do the math program if she will let me go to lunch." 

Can you say Win/Win situation?  Jacey came to lunch with us.  (I also called my sister and told her about our bargain.  She also said that she was trying to get Hailee to do the math program during the summer, and she too would use that bargaining tool.  Hailee came to lunch too.  Looks like two very cute wonderful girls are going to be doing a little math this summer.

Jacey later told me that she knew I would make her do the math program, and that she worked the system to get something she wanted out of it.  She also asked if I noticed how clean her room was.  I really couldn't help smiling and being a little bit impressed.  She had wanted something, and she knew how to go about getting it.  I am constantly amazed at how fabulous my kids are.  She showed me that not only is she growing up, but she is also learning which fights are worth battling and which ones are not.  I love you Lady P.

Comments