I Love My Baseball Player



We are right in the middle of the rec. baseball season, and as usual, we love to do life with a little bit of drama.  This year, Max's coach is a real go getter.  That's good right?  Bottom line, he wants to win.  Well, that has meant practice every night of the week. Because of this Max has had to make sacrifices in other activities like soccer and scouts.  The intensity of the coach overwhelmed my cute son at the first of the season, but fortunately for us, Max quickly decided not to let his coach intimidate him. We had a few discussions about not letting anyone else take away your hopes and dreams.  Max's size does not convince a coach at first glance that he is your go to man.  He simply does not have the bulk behind him to be a power hitter, but size isn't everything.  Max is a smart player, and loves to take chances (like stealing bases or bunting).  Slowly he is gaining his coach's' trust. 

That being said, it causes a bit of strain between the parents.  I hear comments like, "This is recreation ball, my son is sitting on the bench more than ____________, and that isn't fair."  It is this view that I struggle with.   I remember from Gregg's coaching days that as hard as you try to make things fair, there comes a time when boys want to win, and we are doing them a disservice by trying to make it all the same.  Why should we tell someone they are good, if they aren't? Why should we reward inability just to be fair? Why do we in our society think life always needs to be fair?

Here is a basic fact of life as I see it.  Life is not fair.  If you are not succeeding as you would like, or you are not playing the positions that you want, it is not anyone else's fault.  It means you need to try harder.  You tighten your batting glove and tell them "Bring it on!"  You are the one responsible to communicate desires and show willingness and ability to perform up to par.  If we teach kids at this level that life is fair, what are they going to do later when they are trying to find their place in the workplace?

With that said, I will be the first to fight for my son, BECAUSE MY SON HAS THE SAME RIGHT TO SUCCEED.  I am not going to feel bad when my son plays longer than another boy, and in the same breath, I will also not complain when he is sitting on the bench.  I can not live his life for him.  I can only guide him.  This is a lesson that he needs to learn so deep inside of him that he chooses to be a fighter.  Only through battles, will he be defined and ultimately find success.
This year, Max has incorporated a cute little butt wiggle.  Where it came from I don't know, but if it helps him relax I'll support the action.
Max sporting his beloved (not) mouth guard.  At one of the first practices, one of his teammates got his front tooth broken off with a bad bounce of the ball.  Even though he still hates it, he doesn't fight me anymore.  He knows it is not a fight he is going to win.
 Max playing second base.
Max checking the batting order.  He has batted first in the line up for the last couple of games.  I think his coach is thinking, "If I can just get Max on base, I will relax and let him steal bases or the heavy hitters will bring him home."  The thing I like best about Max:  He listens, and good or bad, he does what his coach wants him to do.

Comments