Happy Valentine's Day
A few days before Valentine's, I had one of those moments. You know, the moment you have to decide how to tackle the upcoming holiday. When the kids were younger I would go all out, and when I realized that, I knew I was doomed to exhaustion. Who was it exactly that decided that my kids were too old for me to go all out.
Each year I try to balance needs versus wants, and quite frankly some years the family gets short changed. The funny part is, that if I don't do anything, they are sure to let me know. They simply have come to expect it.
So. . .
Jacey's valentines to hand out to close friends.
Max's valentines to hand out to neighborhood friends.
Max's valentines to hand out to his classmates.
The bag I made for the valentine box competition his class was holding. HE SHOULD have won the most original category. His was the only one that was not a box. Max never seems to catch a break. (This put him in a funk for the rest of the day, because his rival friend won.)
Heart shaped French Toast for breakfast.
Cupcake Parfaits for dessert.
Never miss a chance to teach my kids dining ettiquette.
Our dinner turned out to be "Red Night". We had steak (red meat) with red potatoes (cut into hearts), a salad made with red leaf lettuce, red jello and green beans. Okay the last one isn't red, but for an impromtu Valentine's dinner, not to bad.
Sugar cookies for grandparents and neighbors. One neighbor told us in the ward split we needed to keep them on our Valentine cookie list. How could I not make cookies for her?
I also volunteered at the school for Max's Valentine party. We played a matching game with famous movie couples (mostly cartoons). You know you are old when they don't know who Fred and Wilma are or Robin Hood and Maid Marian.
I had big plans for Gregg too, but Walmart failed me. I was going to buy a ton of balloons and put them in our room all over the ceiling. However, when I called them in the morning I was told they don't do big orders. An hour later I was in the store picking up prizes for Max's party when I saw at least a hundred balloons tied to shopping carts. I was excited. I thought they had blown up the balloons to be prepared for the mass customers that were going to be coming in. When I inquired, I was told they were for another customer that had called in their order. I quite promptly told them, "OH REALLY? I called this morning and was told they don't do large orders over the phone." This put the girl on her heels, and she passed me off to someone else. That someone else then told me that she didn't think they had enough helium to fill my order.
I WAS FURIOUS! I couldn't buy balloons after that, it certainly would NOT have been romantic. Gregg was very understanding. (Oh, by the way, he bought the most perfect cards for me this year. Thanks Gregg, I love you!)
I hope you all had a Happy Valentine's Day.
Now what is the next holiday I should be focusing on?


Comments
Post a Comment