Post Nutcracker Blog

Wouldn't you know it, last night as we were pulling away from our neighborhood, I realized that I had not brought our camera.  Gregg asked if we needed to turn around, but I thought that we could just snap some pics with the phone or Jacey's Ipod.  I was wrong.  We came away from this adventure in our life without a single picture.  What a lame mom I am. 

Jacey and Max had a great time, and for the most part performed fabulously.  It was one of those payday moments, when all the hard work pays off, and you and your husband get to watch from the audience just how wonderful your children are.  (Just so you know, Gregg did have his eyes open when HIS kids were on the stage.)  Oh, there were the occasional incidents, ie. accidental steps on the dress that caused a few seconds of panic (at least she didn't fall down like the poor Mother Buffoon), or the over abundance of energy on the final show that caused my son to salute the audience, but, all in all, a pretty great showing.

My blog about the week wouldn't be complete without a description of my week.  Nutcracker ALWAYS gives me stress, but I think I survived it all without increasing my meds or going to the doctor.  That is a blessing to be sure.  So how did my week go?  Well, let's just say it got better after Tuesday night, and in the end, I came out with all my hair intact.  I only got in one cat fight, and that wasn't even on purpose.  Stress sure does a number on mothers with territorial instincts.  Jacey (lucky her) was unfortunate enough to overhear my explosive response to the prop committee chair (and her reaction), and thought she had entered the walls of junior high.  Funny how I survived my own teenage years without a single episode (thanks to great friends), but I can't navigate through my daughter's.   My friend Dana is a saint because she was capable of diffusing the fire, and helped both parties start acting like adults.  She even got the other lady to apologize.  I personally wasn't going anywhere near her because she scared me to death.  I didn't like how she could get me to lose my decorum, and yell like I did.  Well actually, I didn't yell.  I just said in a very enunciated, drawn out way, with all the practiced mother undertones that I have perfected through the years on my own kids, that  I  COULDN'T  DO  EVERYTHING ! !  She survived.  I survived, and I am sure that we will both live to experience more Nutcracker experiences next year.  (If my kids make it.)

So today, I am tired.  It has been a very long week, and I need a nap, a very long nap. 

Comments