It Is Official

When the executive secretary calls you, and requests that you meet with the bishop, you know your life is about to change.  The problem is that I do not do change well.  Gregg was out of town at the time, and I tried really hard not to panic, but the inevitable always seems to happen.  I start to wonder what my new calling will be.  Will it be overwhelming?  Will I like it?  Will it be something I have done before?  Jacey thought that I would be called to be the new Young Women's Sports director, since the sister in that calling was moving.  I didn't think that would be a good fit, since basically Gregg would have to do that one for me.  Max thought I should be his primary teacher, because a member of the bishopric told him they were looking for another teacher to teach with his current teacher.  (That is the calling that I was hoping for.)  Gregg told me it would be Relief Society President.  I didn't get that same feeling, but my mind went to the what if mode.  Other than RS President, I thought I would have been fine with most callings.  I have served in most of the auxiliaries, and for the most part have grown to love them all.  That is with the exception of one. 

Three guesses which one I was called to, and the first two guesses don't count.  Yep!  I got called to the one that I haven't yet grown to love.  CUB SCOUTS.  You wouldn't know this by looking at Max's scout shirt, but I really have no love lost on a program that is so totally alien to me.  The first time I went to Roundtable I came home hysterical and told Gregg he had definitely called the wrong person.  I had been totally out of my comfort zone.  I simply do not like to embarrass myself on purpose.  EVER!!  I tried to follow the rules, but I really didn't like it.  By the time I got released, I had finally figured the Scouting Culture out, and could see the good in it, but I still didn't like it.

The next time I had the chance to work with the Cub Scouts, I was in the Primary Presidency over the scouting program, and I tried really hard to make sure it was run the way it is suppose to be run.  I found out there really are people out there that love, love, love scouting.  I even returned to Roundtable, but I caused an awful lot of waves, and was succinctly released and put in outer darkness for awhile.  Really, I don't know why I am being called back into Cub Scouts, but when the Lord calls, I say yes.

Well needless to say, I started crying as soon as I got released from being compassionate service coordinator, and I haven't stopped yet.  Yesterday was my first official den meeting, and the boys are really in for it.  They weren't even in the room for more than 5 minutes before I yelled at them.  Seriously, why did the Lord think I could do this.  Evidently, someone in the room needs to learn a little more patience.  Max took one look at me and knew the mean mom had just come out.  He refused to say another thing the rest of the den meeting.  The other boys didn't know what to think.  I had to do some major talking at home to reassure my son that I meant to have fun with him and the other boys, but last night I couldn't sleep because I kept rehashing what had happened.  Part of me felt guilty for yelling at the boys, but a part of me knew that I wasn't out of line.  They were.  I just handled it poorly.

I know all of these boys come from good homes that the parents are trying to teach them good behaviors.  The problem is that they need some more practice, and I am not the sort that will put up with rudeness.  I draw the line when peoples feeling are involved.  I have seen too much crap with that this year with Max.  I am done taking it.  Now I am going to do something about it.

To illustrate my point, I will share an incident that happened to Gregg and Max last Wednesday.  Gregg had taken Max to the church down from our house to do some practice hitting before Max's baseball game.  While they were there, some boys thinking it was funny yelled rude things to them about baseball.  Gregg and Max did nothing after the first comments, but when the comments started to get personal, telling Max that he was stupid just like baseball, Gregg had had enough.  He chased them down, and questioned their behavior.  He questioned them regarding whether their behavior had been what good scouts should have been doing.  Then he questioned them more regarding whether they were being good examples to my son of someone that holds the Aaronic priesthood.  The boys being scared to death of being called on the carpet for their actions, finally learned some manners and told him, "No Sir, their actions were not in line with either."  After Gregg made the young man that had called out the rude comments apologize to Max, He shook his hand and told him he was proud of him for confessing and apologizing. 

My son was shown a great example of someone who stood up for something right.  I was proud of my husband.  It takes a village to raise a child, and that night my husband chose to influence several young men.  I definitely thing they will think twice before yelling obscenities out of a church door.

So, how does this relate to my new calling as Webelos Scout Leader?  It is a daunting course before me, but I am now having to take on the role of not only teaching my son what acceptable behavior is, but 16 other boys.  They will definitely know when I am done with them that Scouting is not just about having fun.  When I am done with them, they will know the number one purpose of Scouting is about building character. 

Comments

  1. All I can say is Good Luck when ever I was in the Scouting Program it was also not my favorite calling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment