10 Cow Woman
When Gregg and I were younger and in seminary, we saw a short film produced by the Church about Johnny Lingo. We enjoyed making fun of it because of the dialogue and all, but the message still must have sunk in. I say that because when we were contemplating marriage Gregg told me repeatedly that he wanted me to feel like a 10 cow woman. We were picking rings at the time, and I thought it was really sweet that he loved me that much.
Now, 22 years later (tomorrow is our anniversary), I buy make-up to help me still feel like a 10 cow woman. I know that it is pretty silly, but it is the one thing I LOVE to do for me. I have tried lately to sacrifice this little fettish of mine by buying cheaper brands at the local supermarket, but what I have learned is this. . . I don't like it. In fact, I really hate it. So today I caved in and gave in to my obsession, and my still cute husband didn't say anything. He just knows that I feel more beautiful when I buy department store quality make-up.
How can I not love him even more for that?
For those of you that haven't heard the story of Johnny Lingo, here it is.
Johnny Lingo is a Polynesian trader, and has come to bargain for a wife. Mahana, the young woman he wants to marry. She is considered by her neighbors and even her father to be of little value, sullen, ugly and undesirable.
As the bargaining is about to begin, women of the island brag to each other of how many cows their husbands had given for each of them, and comment that Mahana's father will be lucky to see one cow as Lingo's offer. Mahana's father asks for three cows with the hope of getting at least one. Johnny, considers this saying that three cows are many . . ."But not enough for my Mahana!" He then offers the unheard-of price of eight cows for her hand in marriage.
The next day, the villagers gather at the house of Mahana's father to see the completion of the deal. Some of the islanders say that Johnny will reconsider and would not show up. But Johnny brings the cows. He and Mahana then leave the island on a trading trip.
When they come back to the island, to the astonishment of all, Mahana is a beautiful, happy woman. Even Mahana's father accuses Johnny Lingo of cheating him by giving him only eight cows for a girl truly worth ten cows.
Johnny, her proud husband, had proved to her that her true worth had nothing to do with what others saw, but only what she truly was.
He had made the best bargain of all -- a few cows for a life with the woman that he loved.



Comments
Post a Comment