Filling My Bucket
Last Sunday, I was given a CD to listen to by one of my wise older friends. It is called "The Myth We Call Perfection" by Dr. John L. Lund. Since I value this friends advise, I listened to it today on my way to the temple.
I found myself laughing at times and crying at times, and made a vow to "love much and do all that I can do". More importantly, I need to let go of the worldly frustrations that I feel in many areas of my life when others choose to do things differently than I would do them.
Dr. Lund gave a poignant example from the scriptures of Mary washing and annointing Jesus' feet at the home of Simon. When Judas questioned her actions, Jesus tells him to let her alone. I personally enjoyed learning more about the doctrine taught in this story. It is mentioned in all four of the Gospels. This one is from Mark 14.
Then near the end of Dr. Lund's talk, he asks the listener to imagine what it might be like to be brought before the Lord at the judgement bar, and having the Lord tell all of our accusors (our husbands, children, parents, friends, and all those that we may have offended) in this life to let us alone because He personally has atoned for our sins and our weaknesses at the Temple of Gethsemane. We are then made whole.
All that he asks of us in this life is to learn to love much and to do all we can do.
Sometimes the simplest of truths seem so profound. I can certainly try in my life to leave more people alone.
I found myself laughing at times and crying at times, and made a vow to "love much and do all that I can do". More importantly, I need to let go of the worldly frustrations that I feel in many areas of my life when others choose to do things differently than I would do them.
Dr. Lund gave a poignant example from the scriptures of Mary washing and annointing Jesus' feet at the home of Simon. When Judas questioned her actions, Jesus tells him to let her alone. I personally enjoyed learning more about the doctrine taught in this story. It is mentioned in all four of the Gospels. This one is from Mark 14.
3 ¶And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head.
4 And there were some that had indignation within themselves, and said, Why was this awaste of the ointment made?
5 For it might have been sold for more than three hundred pence, and have been given to the poor. And they murmured against her.
7 For ye have the apoor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always.
9 Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, this also that ashe hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her.
Then near the end of Dr. Lund's talk, he asks the listener to imagine what it might be like to be brought before the Lord at the judgement bar, and having the Lord tell all of our accusors (our husbands, children, parents, friends, and all those that we may have offended) in this life to let us alone because He personally has atoned for our sins and our weaknesses at the Temple of Gethsemane. We are then made whole.
All that he asks of us in this life is to learn to love much and to do all we can do.
Sometimes the simplest of truths seem so profound. I can certainly try in my life to leave more people alone.



Comments
Post a Comment