Today I am Grateful For My Brother-in-Law Joe

Yesterday morning, I woke up and started my day as usual.  That is until I opened the door to my oven.  I had cleaned my oven the night before with my broiler pan inside.  I know you are not supposed to do that, but sometimes I am too lazy to scrub it after using it, and it works better too.  Well the latch is a little finicky, and Gregg had tried to open the door the night before thinking his dinner was inside.  So when I opened the door, it stayed locked.  I couldn't even close the door afterward.  Gregg told me that he probably broke it.  While otherwise occupied, he took one look at it, and then left me to go to Maryland. 

I was mad.  I found all the tools to take the darn thing apart, only to be frustrated when I couldn't fix it, and decided I was going to buy a new one before Gregg came back, and since I really need a new dishwasher, I was going to buy one of those too.

I spent the day looking all over town trying to find what I wanted, but came home with nothing.  Do you want to know why I came home with nothing?  Because I couldn't do it without Gregg.  Gregg would never spend over a thousand dollars without consulting me.  Why did I think I could do it to him?  Well, I couldn't.  Our relationship doesn't work like that, and I am very glad. 

We simply do everything together.  I support him.  He supports me.  I read an article in the Ensign when we were first married and it was discussing WOMEN'S WORK vs. MEN'S WORK.  The article simply stated that there isn't women's work or men's work.  There is simply work, and we need to work together to get it done.  That is how Gregg and I have tried to do things, in everything we do. 

So, . . . . There I was staring at my oven, that wouldn't work because it was broken, and my husband was 2000 miles away. How was he going to help me?  He couldn't.  So I had a dilemma  What was I going to do?  After thinking about it, I did have options.  I have a family, and I have good neighbors, and I have a home teacher that would come help me.

I ended up calling my brother-in-law Joe to see if he could fix it.  HE DID! It didn't even take him very long.  I even helped take apart the oven.  I knew how of course, because I already did it.  The only problem we had was because both of us are getting old enough that our eyes couldn't see very well.  We didn't even have to go to the hardware store. 

I went to bed very grateful to Joe and to my Heavenly Father who had taken care of me and my family when Gregg was too far away.

Thanks Joe.

Comments