Being In The World, But Not Of The World


This time of year, our family life gets a little crazy. Trying to fit everything in sometimes sends me over the edge, but what do we give up. Last weekend was a perfect example.

We do friend birthday parties every other year, and this was Max's off year. On their off year we let them take one friend to dinner or some small activity. This year we chose to take two friends to dinner and bowling. What were we thinking? Both Gregg and I had to discipline both of our children multiple times during the night.

Max was thinking that because this was his night out, he didn't have to obey us, and Jacey was not getting the attention that she felt she deserved, i.e. she didn't get to invite a friend to go with us.

Sometimes, I feel pulled between where my life is and where I think we should be. Something just doesn't FEEL right. I am not really sure what needs to change, but everything is not right. Later that same night I told Max, that somehow we were not faced in the right direction. We need to take the world out of our lives. He didn't seem to think this would be possible. Does anyone else ever feel like this?

So in true "MOM" fashion, I have wagered war on the influences of the world. I am determined to take the world out of our lives, and the Wii was the first to go, and screen time got drastically cut. Max doesn't understand. He thinks he is being punished. Jacey is too scared of me when I get in this mode that she just goes with the flow.

But, . . . I can tell you that even after one day of kicking my kids outside to play with friends, the tension in our home is lower. It is amazing what a little exercise and vitamin D will do.

Comments