Why I Love My Family

It is the holiday season. My body has a hard time at this time of year because, as the doctors put it, I am a Type A personality. I am trying to relax, so if anyone out there knows how to do that let me know. Well this last week was one of a lot of stress mix with a lot of gratitude. Let me tell you what happened.

It all started Wednesday night. I wasn't feeling really well, but like I said, I have a hard time at this time of year, so I didn't think anything of it. I went to Relief Society, and enjoyed myself. It reminded me to bring Christ into my Christmas and I need to simplify. I kept thinking, "How can we focus more on Christ?"

Thursday, I woke up still not feeling well. I told Max' teacher I wasn't coming in to help out and I went back to bed. I woke up just in time to get the kids from school. I totally forgot about going Visiting Teaching. Sorry Kris and Karina. I owe you.

Friday morning, I woke up still not feeling well, and received a call from my mom. She told me that there had being an accident and that my nephew was in the hospital.

This is my nephew Kaden. He is my little sister Teresa's oldest son. She has 4 other kids at home. He is a senior in high school, and is the Student Body President. He is very athletic and everyone loves him.

Last Thursday night while he was at his girl friend's house, he passed out and fell down the stairs He shattered his jaw and broke his ear canal. He was supposed to have surgery Friday, but it was postponed until Saturday. Which ended up to be okay, because his dad was able to get back from California.

Even though I wasn't feeling up to it, I took the two youngest kids to my house. My kids were more than willing to have their cousins over, and due to circumstances were allowed to have not only one, but two sleepovers.

I really tried to keep up. I tried to keep going, and I did it because I knew that my sister needed to know that her kids were all right. She needed to concentrate on Kaden. I know they could have taken care of themselves at home, but their family wasn't all right. They were anxious about their brother. They all needed some love and attention. I also did it because I know that my family would be there for me if I needed them. Because, quite simply, none of us can do it all on our own.

Kaden is in for a long recovery. His mouth is wired shut. He can't even use a straw to eat. He uses a shringe to get the food past his teeth, and then he can only swallow. While his mouth was still numb from surgery, he used a white board to communicate. The first words he wrote were, "This is stupid!" Interpreted to mean this is not an adventure that he would like to be having. I agree with you Kaden. I am sorry this happened to you.

It broke my heart when I called my sister Sunday night. She had finally gotten Kaden home from the hospital. All her family was home, and she could finally regroup for a minute before the next phase came the next day. She was exhausted, and very emotional. Sometimes, I know she feels like Job.

Sometimes life is hard, and sometimes you have to endure longer than you think you can, but I am really glad to have been given a family that is as great as mine to have someone to be able to get through it with. Thanks Gregg for helping me this weekend when I didn't have the strength to do it myself. I am also thankful for my testimony. The one thing that I can do to bring Christ more into my Christmas is this. . . do what Christ would do if He were here.

Comments