I Love My Soccer Player

If being a mom isn't hard enough as it is, my son likes to make it even more challenging. Built inside every mom, is a protective mode, to keep their kids as safe as possible. Heighten that instinct by being a lifeguard for years which taught me to look for and prevent dangerous situations before they could happen. Why then, do you think, I willingly let my son play soccer?

Because I love him.

Yesterday was Max's final game for the season. He played defender for three periods of play, and didn't complain at all. His favorite position is mid-fielder. The team only had to take a knee (which means a player is down) once during the game for Max. He was down long enough to know he was hurt, but gingerly got up and told the coach he was fine. He continued to play, and he was noticeably limping.

I walked calmly over to the coach and said, "Watch Max. Pull him out if he is TOO hurt. He WON'T take himself out of the game."

Max was right there on the next play. Wow, he is tough!

He told me once that if he has to get carried off the field, he wants me (his mother) to do it. I told him that some of the boys wouldn't think that was cool, but I would be there if he really wanted me to be. Just try holding me back if my son needs me.

I have learned a little about myself while watching my son play ball.
1. My son does not improve his play by me screaming from the sidelines.
2. As much as I like all the boys on the field, mine is the only one that matters.
3. I am just as competitive as Max.
4. I have a long way to go before I perfect the talent of being poised and proper all the time.
5. I like to have things fair.

Some of these traits are not very positive ones, and you can bet that I will be working on them for a long time.

Max's next adventure is basketball. That is a new experience for me as well. We'll see how we both do.

GOOD JOB MAX!
I love you

Comments