Fablehaven Launch Party

The long awaited day finally arrived. Last Tuesday, the last Fablehaven book went on sale. I bought the book earlier in the day, and then Gregg went to the book signing at Deseret Book in Fort Union to get it signed by Brandon Mull. Later that night I took Jacey and Max to the launch party with their cousin Ryan and my sister Kathleen.

We did this last year and both Gregg and I thought we didn't have to do it this year because we had "been there done that". However, both Jacey and Max a few weeks before the launch asked if we could go. Gregg and I talked about it, and decided that if they were excited about doing something that encourages them to read, WHY NOT.

So, I went with them to the launch party while Gregg was doing his civic duty and attended our caucus meeting. Apparently, with the signing of the heathcare bill, many more people felt it their duty to get involved with politics. He said that the number who attended this year was far more than in years past. Thank goodness I wasn't voted into anything by proxy. Gregg was voted in as Precinct Vice Chair. Which in his words, "doesn't do anything." But the point is this. If we are involved, and we vote, then we have a right to complain if we don't like something. If we sit back and do nothing, then we deserve what we get.

I think I got the better end of the deal. I got to go stand in the freezing cold to wait in line for a balcony seat and attend an event with 3,000 other individuals, just to see "the show". Brandon Mull, I felt did a better job of it this time around. It was not an "I am so great" show like it was last year. This year he brought on stage a boy that has cystic fibrosis, and knighted him into the Knights of the Dawn. It was this boys greatest wish to live long enough to know the plot for book number 5. Brandon Mull shared the story of how he had called him and shared with him the plot before the book came out, but this boy has had a turn for the better, and although still sick, is feeling much better. He was able to fly up to Utah for the launch party.

We also got to see some dancers from the University of Utah, and hear the comedy of the DC Comedy Group. I thought their jokes were a better fit this year also.

The one thing that I did not like from last year, and hoped they changed, was their presentation of Shannon Hale. Last year they made her out to be a stalker, and . . . this year they built on that. UGH!! How am I supposed to set her up to be a good role model for my daughter? For those of you who aren't familiar with Shannon Hale, she is the author of the Newberry Award winning book Princess Academy. She has also written the Bayern Series (Goose Girl, Enna Burning, etc.)

Max now wants to grow up to be an author. I keep trying to get him to go for Dentistry, or Engineering, but I suppose he will eventually have to decide for himself. At least he is looking towards the future, and not just living in the here and now.

On another front, Jacey and Max had their piano recital last Saturday. I am very proud of both of them. They both did a great job. It is amazing to me how differently they approach the same thing. Jacey had two songs. One she loved and could play very well. The other she didn't like and struggled with. She was very nervous. When it came time, she started with the one she doesn't like. She messed up, but struggle through it. Then she finished with a bang. Max on the other hand did not want to be there at all. He would practice a hundred miles an hour, and never take it seriously. I tried to coach him a little with presentation, but he didn't want anything to do with it. Then when he presented his songs, he stood up there very proper, and played his songs like he loves piano lessons. He too did a fantastic job. (My smallest of the small ones should have come with an owner's manual.)

I took videos that I wanted to post, but am unable to upload them to my blog. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Comments

  1. This is Jodi and I need an invite to your blog please...
    jodi.hardcastle@gmail.com

    I didn't even know you had one.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment