Be Where You Are Supposed To Be

Over the past three weeks, I have had the opportunity to go to two viewings and two funerals (three different individuals). The first one was a mother of one of Gregg's friends from high school. She died without warning, and the family was pretty upset. She was a great person and understandably many people came to her viewing and funeral. The second one was a lady I knew when we lived in Salt Lake. She was amazing. She and I were in a Relief Society presidency together, and she was willing to tackle anything. The amazing part was that back then she was 88 years old. She died this past week at 99. I want to be like that. The third one was a gentleman that lived close to us. He was only 60, but other than extended family he had no one close to him. He was not active in the church, nor did he have any friends around. People told us that he had some mental illness that made him afraid of people. During his final days, Gregg had the opportunity to serve him. This mostly included visits to his home, or the care center. When he passed away I was particularly saddened because no one should have to die alone. I was glad that Gregg and Malin (his home teacher) had been able to visit him close to his time of passing.

I will never know what other people really think of me, but I hope that when I die, someone somewhere will say that I touched their life for good. Which brings me to the topic of this entry. This past Christmas time, as always, I sent out Christmas cards to friends and family. Sometimes I ask myself if I really need to send to as many people as I do. Some of these people are people from our past that we have nothing to do with anymore. For example, our old landlord, or our old neighbors. Some of them are getting older and have lost their spouses. But, every year I think "What would Christ do?" and I send them all cards.

This year, a few weeks after Christmas I received a thank you card from one of them. She told us that she had had a fall around Christmas time, and that she was just getting around to sending out Christmas wishes. She thanked us for our card, and for keeping in touch with her. Her husband passed away a few years ago, and even though I know she has a great family, and many friends, I felt that I needed to reach out to her and let her know we still care. I, however, didn't act on my actions right away. One night I had a dream about her, and I woke up thinking that I needed to go visit her. I thought I would make her some bread and take it to her, but life got in the way again. When I went to start the yeast for the bread I realized I didn't have any, and I didn't have a lot of time because the kids had early out from school. I again put it on the back burner, and thought I would do it the next week. The very next day, Gregg noticed the obituary of the second person I wrote. He asked if I remembered her, and of course I did. We were not close, but should we go? It was decided that we would go to the viewing only. My whole thought process was not so much for the family that I didn't know, but to find out about my other friend.

Gregg and I took our kids and went to the viewing. The family seemed to really appreciate our being there, and I remembered what it was like when Gregg's mom passed away. Even the smallest act of kindness was not overlooked. Afterwards I looked around for someone from our old ward. There was no one. I was a little disappointed because I really wanted to check up on my friend. Gregg and I looked at each other with a look that said "now what?"

Then I saw her, a tiny frail older lady making her way into the reception area. I immediately knew it was my friend. I was able to talk to her and make arrangements to visit her. I came away with a feeling embedded in my heart that Heavenly Father had his hand in helping me link up with her. It wasn't just a good idea that I had. I needed to be an instrument for good in his hands. He will make it happen if we just do what is right, and be where we are supposed to be. He loves all his children. It is often quoted that it is through other people that our needs are taken care of, but if we are not where we should be, how do hope to be the one that fills those needs.

Comments

  1. Your blog is looking great Barb! And I love the posts you have up already. You have got this thing down :) I know I'm going to love reading your blog, for the updates as well as the inspiring messages I am sure to get!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment